New York Times Journeys – Dumbo: The New Brooklyn
You've heard about all the cool things happening in Brooklyn - now get a chance to experience it firsthand. The neighborhood known as Dumbo is Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass (DUMBO) and it's where artists and innovators are making their mark. Don't miss the best views in the entire city as we stroll along old cobblestone streets, visit local creators in their workspaces, and duck into historic warehouses that have been converted to the latest hotspot that combines food, drink, shopping, art, history, and creative energy. With exclusive access and hands-on experiences curated by Urban Adventures and The New York Times, see how the city is reinventing itself through the eyes of a local guide.
Dumbo: The New Brooklyn Tour Highlights
- Take the ferry to Brooklyn, just like a local, and marvel at the Brooklyn Bridge as we sail right underneath the bridge
- Stroll through Brooklyn Bridge Park, built partly on old shipping piers, and enjoy breathtaking views of the Manhattan skyline
- Learn the history of Brooklyn’s waterfront and how it has transformed from industrial to recreational
- Sample tasty offerings from one of the neighborhood’s favorite local food or drink creators
- Breathe in the energy that has attracted artists, innovators and tech companies, and revitalized the neighborhood
New York Times Exclusives:
- Go Behind-the-Scenes: We’ll get access to the private studio of one of the artists that works in DUMBO and get to meet them and see their work
- Get Hands-On:
We’ll do a coffee cupping (tasting) with the team at Brooklyn Roasting Company
We’ll build our own Ice Cream Sandwiches at local chocolatier Jacques Torres
- Interact with Locals: We’ll meet the people behind the counter at Powerhouse Books and Brooklyn Roasting Company
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, pastry or coffee, ferry ticket.
Exclusions: Additional Food or Drink, Souvenirs, Tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: 3 hours
- Meeting point: Entrance of Pier 11, just East of South Street and Gouverneur Lane, underneath the F.D.R. Drive in Manhattan. GPS Coordinates
- Starting time: 9:00 AM